Lake Titicaca: Uros-Taquile (EA 03)
A surplus of splendor, nature and the genuine hospitality of its people have made Uros and Taquile the most visited islands of Lake Titicaca. This scenic journey takes us through the floating Islands of the Uros and Taquile. On both Islands we will learn about local customs, visit different sites and have unique opportunities to photograph landscape and leaving cultures.
Available throughout the year
- Day 1: Puno-Taquile
- Picked up from the hotel between 6:45 to 7:00 am to be transferred to the port in Puno -- main gate to Lake Titicaca-- here we embark in a small ship that will take us to the Uros islands. (Travel time approximately 30 minutes). Currently, there are about 57 floating islands in Lake Titicaca, and today we will visit two of them. On the first island, the guide will explain everything about Uros (i.e. history, religion, customs, Islands building, etc.) The locals will invite us to visit their homes and to dress up in their typical clothes; at this point we are given the opportunity to visit the second island by taking a reed raft (Uros’s typical boat)*. Later we continue our trip to Taquile, as soon as we arrive to the port of the island (Salakancha), we start a hike for approximately 50 minutes. On the way we will enjoy views of amazing landscape, local people, crops and animals. At the end of the hike, we are welcomed by members of the local community who have set up lunch, based on local goods: quinoa soup, vegetables, grilled trout, and Coca or Muña tee. After, we will go to the family’s houses to rest for a little bit. Then we head for the Molusina (Taquile highest point) to see the ceremonial center and to enjoy an amazing sunset. At night we will share dinner with the local family. (B, L, D)
- Day 2: Taquile-Puno
- This day we wake up early in the middle of Lake Titicaca to experience the dawn and the sun rise at this unique place. It might be cold so dress up in layers; after breakfast we can walk around the island. By noon time we will meet with the rest of the group to enjoy lunch together at Taquile’s main square (on our own); in the afternoon we start our hike down of approximately 533 stairs while appreciating the surrounding landscape. We ride back to Puno, arriving at approximately 17:30 hrs. (B)
- Bilingual guide
- Boat transport
- Lunch (1), Dinner (1) and Breakfast (1)
- Entrance fees
- Basic accommodation
- Personal expenses
- Additional fee for the boat ride at the Uros about US$ 5-10; it is your decision whether to take this option or not.
- Additional US$ 7 for transfers outside the city of Puno.