Cusco-Machu Picchu 6 days (EA 14)
Hike on the Inca Trail, the same trail the Incas used 600 years ago! Explore Cusco and the magnificent citadel of Machu Picchu, the tour also includes a visit to Maras and Moray.
- Available throughout the year
- Day 1: Cusco
- Upon arrival in the ancient capital of the Incas, Cusco transfer to the hotel, and welcomed with a hot cup of coca tea to help with acclimatization at 3,400 meters. In the afternoon, we will have a walking tour starting by visiting the main Plaza, on the way we will have a greater picture of how was this place in the Inca time: Inca palaces, streets, and how it was distributed -- what little is left of this.
- Day 2: Cusco – Sacred Valley of the Incas
- After breakfast we start the excursion to the Valle Sagrado (Sacred Valley of the Incas), famous for its rural landscape and lovely weather. The drive will descend until Pisaq (2,800 m), a small town aside the Vilcanota River, to visit a typical Indian market. Here we can observe men, women, and indigenous authorities displaying beautiful and elegant traditional dressing. The market still shows ancient trading traditions among people who come from other distant small villages. Also in Pisaq we will visit the famous Archeological Site. Lunch in Urubamba, and in the afternoon, we travel to Ollantaytambo, a former agricultural, military, and religious center, where Inca architecture is one of the finest. This center was built to protect the valley against possible invaders, and is presently considered the best preserved and the only living Inca town today. Overnight in Ollantaytambo. (B, L)
- Day 3: Ollantaytambo - Inca Trail Hike
- Pick up from your hotel and transfer to the train station to travel to Km 104, where the 2day 1n Inca Trail starts. This tour includes a slow ascension to the heights of Wiñayhuayna, surrounded by cloud forests. Great views of the Urubamba Canyon as you reach Wiñayhuayna, one of the most beautiful small Inca citadels. Box Lunch. You will later connect to the Inca Trail or Machu Picchu Hike meandering hillsides until Inti Punku, a spectacular viewpoint from where you will appreciate Machu Picchu, Huayna Picchu, and other steep-sloped mountains clothed with pristine cloud forests. From Inti Punku you will slowly descent to Machu Picchu, exit the citadel and have you bus down to Aguas Calientes village. ( B, Box Lunch)
- Day 4: Machu Picchu - Cusco
- We will take the first bus to the citadel of Machu Picchu, as soon as we arrive we will begin a guided tour of 3 hours through this mysterious place. There will be more time for photographs, so we continue enjoying this wonderful citadel with spectacular views of the surrounding landscape. If we have Huayna Picchu booked in advance, we can climb the mountain on our own. Later bus back to Aguas Calientes, where we can enjoy a good lunch (not included) and then the train back to Ollantaytambo. Once we arrive in Ollantaytambo, a car will take us back to Cusco. (B)
- Day 5: Cusco- Maras - Moray
- Pick up at the hotel to be transfer by car to Moray on the way we will enjoy sceneries of thebeautiful snowcapped Chicon and Veronica mountains. We visit the Incas agricultural greenhouse; it is 150 meters in depth and has overlapping concentric circular stone rings. Then the tour continues to Salineras, famous for its salt mines made up of 3000 small wells with an average size of five sq mts. The Incas as means of economic exchange already exploited these mines. Our guide will explain how the salt is recover, process and life of those who work here. Return to Cusco approximately by 2:00 pm (B)
- Day 6: Cusco-Home
- Transfer to Airport in Cusco (B)
- Transfer Airport/hotel in/out
- City Tour in Cusco
- Sacred Valley Tour
- All entrance fees for tours
- All trains tickets (Km. 104, Aguas Caliente)
- Bus Machu Picchu to Aguas Calientes
- Bilingual guides
- Meals as described on itinerary B=breakfast, L=Lunch, D=Diner
- Accommodation 5 nights hotels 3-4 stars.
- Snack energy bars
- Entrance fee to hot springs in Aguas Calientes (US$ 3)
- Entrance fee to Huayna Picchu Mountain (US$ 80.00)
- Walking stick
- Personal expenses
- Travel insurance
- Day 4 and 5 are part of the Inca Trail 2 day package. No camping is allowed for Inca trail during the 2 days.